Sunday, February 12, 2012

POPS! of Neon

The Bright Side of Blue today is really BRIGHT neon.  Pops of neon are a chic trend that is so fun to do, but can be difficult to pull off.  I have been seeing it POP up everywhere it seems, but I think the best example is Aria in Pretty Little Liars recent season 2 episode 19. 

Aria from Pretty Little Liars. http://abcfamily.go.com/site/style/blogs-details/pretty-little-liars-trend-alert-neon-accessories/927128
The balance of the accessories is perfect with her fun, patterned neutral dress.  Neons work best with neutrals and in smaller proportions, but purposeful placement.  Since they attract so much attention, you don't need a lot of quantity to make a big statement, and for that same reason they are great for drawing attention to desired areas, like Aria does in accentuating her waist with her belt.  Notice the necklace has only a small amount of the neon yellow, which is perfect so that it ties in without overwhelming the outfit.

 As I said, I am seeing neon in more and more places.  This week's trip to Target showed a whole wall of fun ways to incorporate neon into an outfit.  It can be easier to start with an accessory or two and build from there.  I REALLY love the pink and khaki backpack.  These are all great prices too, and as I said a little goes a long way with neon so it is easy to get started.

End cap at Target in Houston, taken on my iPhone.
The pink and khaki look is one of my favorites.  This ad from Sephora by OPI shows an incredibly cute use of neon and neutral pairing on nails.  I was so inspired by this I went and got my nails painted the same way this week.
Sephora by OPI ad. http://www.sephora.com/browse/brand_hierarchy.jhtml?brandId=5907




 Lastly, while POPS of neon with neutrals is a fun way to spice up your everyday wardrobe, if you are feeling truly BOLD, a full neon look makes a powerfully confident statement.  Emma Watson in this bright Marchesa dress is a perfect example.  Since the bold color is it's own statement, the bag and shoes remained neutral and no jewelry was necessary.  I really like how her lip color has a bit of an orange undertone which complements the look well.  I am a huge Emma Watson fan and love this look on her.

Emma Watson in Marchesa picture from myLifetime.com.
All in all, the bright side of blue in my day is well blue, and pink, and yellow and green, as long as it is NEON!  Now that I have done my nails I will have to try to add neon into my outfits soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment